Saturday, April 14, 2012

One week to the deadline...


I have taken the input from my crit and have tried to fine tune some of my design decisions.

One of the biggest concerns with my design was that there was a huge disconnect between my building facade and the interior of my building. So I began to address that first by designing the form my interior teaching kitchens in both plan in section.

I tried to give it a more faceted form



The next step is to make the kitchens jagged on the interior similar to how the facade is to obtain the same language.

I have played withe the facade by peeling it away to provide access into the building.


Next...
The intent behind my project has been that cooking is a process.
A process is a series of actions taken to achieve a particular end.

I had began to alter the levels in my design with on of my teaching kitchen towers. When I began to develop my project I decided to step my floor plates as well to emphasize my design intent while also allowing for multiple views throughout my building.




My concern with this is how I am going to set up my floor plans as I will be having so many to illustrate what I am trying to do. And also sections will be able to explain this really well.

With this stepping I will be incorporating more circulation in my building, which i didn't have entirely set up.

Structure...
Because my facade is so busy and so way my structure I have decided to simply my structure like this....



Where the structure will follow the form of my facade, this will keep it less busy and simply and unify it.






Also in section I anticipate my structure looking this this...



I am going to be taking out the residence program in my building because I no longer feel its necessary.

I have made these changes to my design and now I have to refine the plans and week moving forward. Please let me know what think of the changes I have made.


Alternating floor plates....



3 comments:

  1. Kitchens
    I would recommend that you keep the triangulation to a more subdued level in order to keep some order in the plan on the teaching kitchens. Be careful of overtly jagged plans as they create terrible functional programming conditions.

    Exterior Envelope
    The peeling exercise is good but it remains unclear given the uniformity of the structure and cladding in the imagery provided. I would recommend beginning to look to solid versus glazed conditions in your project to ensure you are simulating the correct effects.

    Concept/Form
    There remains a disconnect between the "cooking as a process" idea and how it has manifest itself in the building. This is not unique to your project as many others suffer from this condition. That said, I would recommend finding ways to ensure that this idea is clear in the "multiple views throughout" the building. I do not know if the notion of multiple views is critical in the thesis, however I certainly believe that narrative would be strong in conveying the thesis idea of "cooking as a process".

    Floor Plans
    The question you have about floor plans is unclear. You should "set up" your floor plans as you normally would: establish design intent, define your demising and structural conditions, layout a formal order, create the design plans, and project into the major spaces the 3D experience.

    Structure
    Your structure situation is a bit unclear as well. You claim that your "structure will follow the form of my facade" which it was doing earlier. With the triangulations anticipated in the model I do not know if your project would do anything other than have the structure follow the facade profile. Simply using a diagrid steel structure does not necessarily make the structure "simple". You must conjecture the heaviness and the amount of visual density that will come about with the Foster precedent your have proposed.

    Residence
    It is fine to take out that component. There is no need to feel obligated to include such program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your help!

    The "cooking as a process" i have looked at it by altering the floor plates along the back of my building so that people are always moving through different levels and getting different views of the teaching kitchens that are in the middle of my building.

    I have taken process and defined it as a series of steps taken to achieve a particular end. So by moving through the building and the alternating floor plates you can get views of the teaching kitchens.

    My question about the floor plans is that because i have these alternating floor plates... I will have multiple plans... unless i show it some other way to show it because I will essentially have 8 floor plans for 5 levels because some are half levels and the others alternate. I have posted another image to illustrate what I am talking about.

    When i said follow the form I meant that it wont be away from the structure like my physical model is but rather like the foster building i posted here those HSS tubes would be very close to my facade... I still have to figure it out so disregard it for now.

    But can you please comment on my idea of process and stepping and how I went about developing it?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't actually know what the question is that you have regarding floor plans. If you are asking whether or not you have to illustrate a floor plan for each level, then the answer is yes. You are responsible for showing your awareness of all these aspects of the design. Stepping and the alternation of floors sounds like it would be interesting but you have to validate it works with 3D views that are not too forced in perspective. Recall that others in the studio have faced similar challenges as it is hard to imagine views from a lower level able to see something interesting at a counter height.

    ReplyDelete