Tuesday, April 17, 2012

So after last weeks critiques, I found myself facing a couple of problems that I need to resolve.
MIRACLE MILE
A problem which i discovered only at the crits was how my building met with the miracle mile.
As we began to design our Culinary Art Academy, we originally had the entire site to work with. I have originally proposed a green/outdoor space on the east side of our current side, in the middle of our original site. And thus my floor plates on the east end were curvaceous, intended to create a more welcoming, and a less rectilinear, monolithic mass. However, since our site has been cropped significantly, It seems as though the hope for a green/outdoor space on the east side is also severed. So...I have since, rearranged my floor plates to meet the property line on the east facade, and the north-east facade. (Somehow, I'm still skeptical about this motion) However, It does remove the "awkward" rooms with walls that meet a curved wall. I have also figured out how my right fire escapes into the ground floor/parking lot. Below are the sketches of the new 3rd and 4th floor respectively.


Structure.
Majority of the buildings vertical structure will be concentrated on the east portion of the building. I propose three derrick model vertical towers (which will be the fire escapes) that will support the roof truss which the pods will be hanging off of. Other steel columns will help reinforce this and support the lower floors.


Facade Structure
- The Facade will be supported structurally by vertical tubular steel and horizontal ____(blanked out on the term)




There are still several issues that I still have to tend to.
But here's a quick blog on my resolutions.

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate the clarity in your approach and certainly the focus on your basic structural issues. I hope that it helps you as you develop your design a bit more. I think the curved condition out by the Strip is worthwhile and the only challenge it proposes is the potential awkwardness in its relationship with Planet Hollywood. Take a look to the street and skywalk views with respect to this general design massing and I think you may find it might have to be broken down and made more akin to human scale(s).

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I'm understanding correctly, I believe that the curved - straight condition on the north facade should alleviate the awkward relationship with planet Hollywood. I'm not sure if that is what you're talking about. I have also looked into the building's exterior/envelop massing on the street levels and have elevated the massing with peel aways/up for the skywalks. But, I'll be sure to make it more of a human scale. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete